Here is the some tips for the web admins and the web developers to speed up the image heavy website
The Major drawback in the Image heavy websites is it takes more time to load , user lose their patience and just navigate away from your website
Don’t use Flash
Use storage service for images
- Most browsers will only load two or three images from one domain at a time, but will access up to four or five http request and response at once. Storing images (and other documents) on a different domain like image hosting or file hosting sites allows your site to load faster.
My another post explains you to use amazon s3 to store media file, here is the link http://asvignesh.in/host-media-files-in-amazon-s3
Some best image and file hosting services
- Amazon S3
Compress images properly
- There are two ways to compress images:
- Lossy: The JPEG file format uses this compression method, which gets rid of unnecessary or repetitive data points so the resulting file is smaller. It works well for photographs and colorful images.
- Lossless: GIF and PNG formats compress the image data in such a way that the original file can be recreated. It’s good for simple images without a lot of color.
Upload the right size images
- Large images take time to load, no matter what size they’re displayed at. Use Photoshop or XnConvert or another image editor to reduce the image (and file) size before uploading it.